I disagree to some extent, but my opinion might come off a little arrogant
so bear with me...

I do admit that when you take money to do a job for a client, you have to
please them.  And if you happen *not* to be very well known, regarded, etc,
you may have to do work in a style that pleases your client but not
yourself.  Then photography indeed gets to be a little bit too much like
work.

On the other hand, if you cultivate a style, produce a recognizable body of
work, and make yourself happy, you might starve happily.  But if you have
lodged yourself in a place where your style and body of work appeals to
people who pay money to get it, you have the best of both worlds.  This
balance may be hard to strike in pure commercial work, but it goes to the
question put forth here about "good clients" and how to recognize them.

If you are working toward working full time as a photographer, but still
have gainful employment in another place, don't take those jobs that would
spoil your enjoyment of the craft.  Don't shoot those shots that offend your
taste or cramp your style.  You may not reach your goal, but more people
have, than one might imagine.  I am sure that even those who are hired to
"be themselves" from time to time shoot things they'd rather not.  But by
and large I think most truly great photographers regularly put their soul
into their work.

Paul M. Provencher
(ppro)