Dark amber (Watten OC, IIRC) is the proper safelight for use with multi-contrast papers. Your friend is probably correct that the red bulb is fogging the paper.

--

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Some may remember i had a problem in my darkroom with a greyish tint to my prints,that i
was not getting in my darkroom class. I was talking to a friend the other day,spotmatic user and darkroom guy,(but not a
pdmler)about this and i mentioned i was now concerned maybe my safe light was to bright for the small
room.He asked what i had and when i mentioned it was a low watt red bulb,he fiqured that was the
problem.
I use RC multi grade paper,and Jim mentioned this paper was sensitive to magenta,and red
was close enough.

1) Does this sound like it could be my problem.

2) Will an amber bulb be better/ok.

Thanks in advance

Dave Brooks

-- graywolf http://graywolfphoto.com/graywolf.html