Bill, I agree with you, in part because of your comment about life beyond
the computer, but more for being able to understand what makes a good
photograph.  I've said this before: too many people using cameras these
days have never seen, much less made, a good, high-quality photograph.  How
the hell can we expect them to know how to produce one for the computer if
they don't know what one is.

Not only will darkroom work be helpful (with a good teacher) but visiting a
few exhibitions showing excellent prints would be in order as well.  As an
example, I'd like to mention that someone on this list (who, for the
moment, shall remain nameless) saw a B&W I made by converting a color scan
in PS using just the greyscal converter.  She thought it was quite good ...
until she saw the same photo given a more complete treatment, adjusting
greys to better reflect their original colors, adjusting contrast, and so
forth.  Her comment was that she thought the simple greyscale conversion
was quite good until she saw the second one.  It's clear that she'd never
seen a decent B&W silver print before, yet she was trying to do B&W work
for her clients.

Shel Belinkoff