Cotty posted and ran:

> In this day and age, I can't think of one good reason, except
> for historical interest.
>
> <zips Nomex suit on>

Look at your answer to another posting - get the jewellers screwdrivers out
and get stuck in: if we don't have children 'doing' things, such as
dismantling lenses/whatever or learning hands on jobs, such as film
development, we will very shortly have a new generation that neither has the
confidence to tackle jobs, nor the ability or drive to perform skills beyond
a screen and keyboard.

We live in a society fuelled by instant gratification and disposable
everything. We need children today who will want to know how things work.
Our throw away culture is nothing to be proud of.

I'm not having a 'go' Cotty, it really is for everyone's benefit, especially
today's youngsters :-)

Malcolm