I forgot to say one thing.
I believe it's important to make sure a course is not only educating
consumers.
I have been a music teacher once. Most of the students would end up as
"educated consumers only" - that is music listeners.
Some would become activly playing music practitioners.
And a few sould become professional musicians.

I guess it's just about the same for photography. I believe it's crucial not
to just educate consumers (point and shooters with a labtop).

All the best
Jens

There is many reason why children, who wants to learn about photography,
should learn about film/darkrooms.
This does not mean ALL the work should be in a darkroom or lab. I believe,
that photography today is about taking photographs as well as processing
photographic material in a lab as well as on the computer processing:

These element should be reoresented in a course:

Taking photographs (from idea/assignement to pressing the realease bitton)

Processing photographic material (from photographic raw material (exposed
film, files) to producing readdy to print or publish raw matrerial (neg,
slide or file)

Printing and publishing photographs - marketing, delivering, exibit,
publish.

Here is a few reasons for spending time in a darkroom or lab:

Health.
It's not very healthy to sit many hours by the computer. The damages to the
body may very well be as serious as the posible damages from handeling
chemicals etc.

Understanding tools and theory:
Many tools as well as theories used in current photography software are more
or less derived from the work and processes in a darkroom or lab. To
understand these properly it is necasary to have a sertain amount of
darkroom experience.

Ecposure:
Learning about metering and exposure is best done by exposing, delveloping
and looking at film, where no automatic sharpening or tonal or contrast
control is possible. Most digital shooters blame the camera, when white snow
looks like gray cement in a photograph. They have NO IDEA about exposing or
how a lighmeter works. Shooting and developing a black and white film will
(hopefully) teach them well.

All the best

Jens
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]