From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 9:41 AM
Subject: Re: Giving up on the FA 28-70/4

I finally put my finger on why the apparent lack of good Pentax wide-tele
zooms (28-xx) is so irksome.  Look at their record with primes in that
focal length range:

28: 2.8s mediocre, 2.0s solid, 3.5s excellent
30: excellent
31: excellent
35: all excellent (not true of, say, Nikon)
40: apparently pretty good for its size
43: excellent
50: 1.2s nasty wide open, all others excellent
55: very good or better
77: excellent
85: 2.0 mediocre at wide stops, all others excellent
100: ? supposedly inferior to 105, perhaps mediocre
105: excellent

At slightly  greater extremes (24 and 135) Pentax is a bit shakier, as are
most manufacturers.  Some of the more limited range zooms (A35-70,
M24-35, etc) were pretty good for their day.  This re-enforces my feeling
that the industry considers most 28-xx zooms to be "throwaways", or
perhaps it is simply too hard to build a cheapish 28-xx zoom that can
compete with primes.  Granted, an expensive 28-xx zoom is about the same
size and cost as the set of primes it replaces.

On a mildly related note, my quest for an M20/4 suffered another temporary
setback today as I felt compelled to buy an F* 300/4.5 from KEH for my
girlfriend.  I've read very favorable reviews of it, and I found the
barrel extension on my old A* 300/4 made it hard to use compared to an IF
lens and hard to focus which made my leery of the M*.  The A setting and
AF are a plus for a *istD user, too.
It was also $100-150 cheaper than the M* 300/4 (probably a cult
classic--I'd expect the F* to be better) and a LOT cheaper than an A* or
FA* 300.  I'm looking forward to testing it against my Super Takumar
300/4 (same as K 300/4?) and Nikkor 300/4.5 EDIF, plus the 300/2.8s.

DJE