Hi Recently I got Slik 700 DX. I paid 139USD for tripod and 16USD for Bag at www.adorama.com Before deciding to buy at www.adorama.com I did bit of price searching and here are the results. I found least quote at www.cambridgeworld.com and www.cameraannex.com but they said its out of stock. These quotes for better than www.adorama.com. This tripod feels good and stable. I can not comment much since its my first "GOOD" tripod; Earlier I was using 20-30 USD tripods. Bye Ramesh -----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 9:06 AM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: OT newbie tripod question Just what we need--a fourth (fifth) Paul on the list to further confuse us! Non-serious photographers have zero tripods. Serious photographers quickly end up with two or more. You can cross your fingers and start out with one that meets 80 percent of your studio wish list and 80 percent of your travel wishlist, but after a few frustrating sessions you'll wish you had bought one for each purpose. Having said that, should you decide to buy one do-it-all tripod and hope for the best, check out Slik's Pro 700 DX for about $155 to $175. It's the top model in a stable of three; its siblings are the 300 DX (about $90 from B&H) and the 500 DX ($130 B&H); the 500 DX is sold by B&H exclusively. The DXs come with 1/4-inch threads but you can buy an adapter to use 3/8-inch heads. Rather then rattle off the many features and advantages the DX members offer, I will share some comments that two users have posted about the 300 DX: Jerry Houston: "I have a lightweight and sturdy tripod that I’ve come to like a lot: The Slik 300DX. Smooth movements, good stability, and a reasonable price (under $100). I even use it without fear with my Pentax 6x7. It weights five pounds, complete with quick-release pan/tilt head, and stands a a little taller than the Bogen 3001. At 6 feet, I barely need to bend over to use it. It is beautifully built, works very smoothly, and works well with my 35mmcameras and my 6x7. The head is removable, with standard threads. I’ve been very pleased with the head it came with, though. The quick-release feature is particularly well designed, as are the legs. They can be locked at three different angles, and the center column reversed, to allow photography at just inches from the ground. Steve Smith: "I’ve been using the 300DX for several months now and am very satisfied. I compared it to similarly sized Gitzo and Bogen (3001) tripods and it was the hands-down winner regarding ease of setup (so you’ll use it). The release lever allowing the legs to open at a wider angle is much easier to operate on the Slik than on either Gitzo or Bogen. And the supplied pan-and-tilt head (which I prefer over ballheads, especially for macro work) and quick release plates I find to be excellent, and much more compact than a Bogen 3047. I have even stuck a Pentax 67 on it with good results. Overall, it’s pretty close in size and weight to a Bogen 3001 with a 3047 ballhead, but much cheaper (especially considering its black finish)." "paul bauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: ...n ow it is time for tripods. what we = are looking for is tripod with all the bells and whistles, that wont = break the bank. we dont need anything exotic like carbon fiber or = something that will go 7 feet high. the most it will have to hold is the = zx-m, the aa battery fg grip, an af-201sa flash, and the smc a = 80mm-200mm lens. thank you, paul Paul Franklin Stregevsky - This message is from the Pentax-Discuss Mail List. To unsubscribe, go to http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions. Don't forget to visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org . - This message is from the Pentax-Discuss Mail List. To unsubscribe, go to http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions. Don't forget to visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org .