My comments:  Slik 300DX vs Bogen 3001

I've got the Slik, Wifey has the Bogen.  I've messed with
both extensively.

The Bogen 3001 is easier to set up, due to quicker levers on
leg spread and leg extension, but it doesn't get as close to the
ground.  The Slik 300 lays "almost" flat on the ground.  I disagree
with Steve Smith, who says the Slik is easier to adjust than the
Bogen.  You have to crank the leg extension thumb screws more on
the Slik to tighten or lossen, and there's NO way that the
"lift and lock" leg angle adjustment on the Slik is as quick as
the Bogen.

My Slik panhead is sturdy enough, but very difficult to adjust
on macro shots.  It "jumps" too much, even when I relubed it with
some purty good axle grease (grin).

The Slik quick release is well thought out, and a spare
cost me less than 15 bucks at a typical camera store.  The Slik has
an optional short center post that is also cheap but well worth it.
When I say "sturdy enough" I mean for a Sigma APO 70-300, my bulkiest
lens.  I have NO idea how sturdy it is with some honker, fast, long
lens.

Should you be a masochist who likes to reverse the center column,
the Slick is easier than the 3001, because the rubber cap on the
3001 is cumbersome to remove and replace.

However, according to the Bogen site, a slew of new 3001-like models
are about to be released.  They spread out farther, and one model
lets you put the center column on horizontally.  Had I compared one
of these (and I haven't seen them yet) to the Slik, I might have
purchased
one of them.