"Bob Blakely" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Bob's laws of teleconverter use:
>
>1.    Using a teleconverter with a wide angle lens is nutsoid. (imagine
>putting a 2X on a 24 or 28mm f/2.8 to obtain a really slow normal lens.)
>2.    Teleconverters are really only useful on fast lenses. You can put a 2X
>converter on a 300 f/4, but then you get a 600 f/8. Trying to get a sharp
>focus at f/8 sucks, at least for my old eyes.
>3.    Teleconverters are really useful on "normal" lenses when you want a
>proper perspective for portraits and are too cheap to buy ~85mm and ~100mm
>lenses.
>4.    In order to get the DOF control, you will eventually sell your
>youngest child to buy both an ~85mm & ~100mm lenses thus relegating the
>teleconverters to very rare use.
>5.    Eventually, you will put the (now little used) teleconverters on ebay
>to get the cash to help redeem your youngest child.

I agree with all of 'em except #5. I use mine fairly frequently with my
300/2.8. (I don't do enough portrait work for #4 to apply to me: I just
get by with the 80-200/2.8, which is a really good portrait lens if you
can live with the relatively slow f/2.8 max aperture.)

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing