----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Stoddart"
Subject: Re: Film vs Digita, was: lRe: Pentax is Dying?

> Oh good gravy! Nearly all this talk of film passing away is about
one
> thing - the conversion of consumer colour negative users to
digital. In
> other words the "high street" stuff. No-one doubts this is
happening
> and will continue to happen. These snapshot users must account for
> something like 80%+ of the film that is sold (Am I being
conservative?
> It might even be as much as 90%+? You tell me, you're the expert).
So
> once all these people have switched to digital "film will implode"
you
> reckon?

Closer to 95% of the market is consumer, not pro, and to a great
extent, it props up the pro end.
Ilford has done very well by concentrating soley on their niche
market and not branching out.
And by being lucky enough to not have much competition world wide.
And yes, I figure that at some point, film availability is going to
get really scarce.

I intend to be here in a couple of years to lament the passing of it
too.

William Robb