--- frank theriault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >

> Interesting analogy!  What are phones doing to keep
> people buying?  Becoming impossibly small, and
> overladen with useless features.  But, I guess if
> you're 16, and everyone else in school has a postage
> stamp sized phone that has a video camera and plays
> 300 different games, and sends text messages, you've
> got to have one too, right?
>
> Judging by what you're saying, even this overkill
> useless technology isn't making enough people buy
> phones to keep a lot of businesses afloat.  At some
> point, folks were bound to say, "I don't want my
> phone
> to get smaller, I don't need more features, I just
> need to call the spouse on the way home to see if we
> need a bag of potatoes, dammit!"
>
> Same thing with cameras, I guess.  There are only so
> many things you can do to make people think they'll
> be
> able to take better pictures, and they get wise, eh?
>
> Focus, Shutter Speed and Aperture.  That's all you
> need to adjust to get a photo, right?

Speaking about useless technology, I always thought it
would be nice if huge faceless corporations, once a
product has been developed to a point that further
development is simply gimmicky, said to the R&D
department, "Instead of beating a dead horse, take a
couple of months, and see what you can do to solve
world hunger (or 3rd World
transportation/communications issues, or implement a
cheap way to filter water so millions don't die every
year from contaminated wells, etc.)"

I know it can't happen, but when one sees these
technological wonders we have nowadays, one can't help
but think that we have the brainpower to solve pretty
much any problem in the world.

There's just no will to do it.

Rant over.  Sorry if I got political or overly OT.

cheers,
frank

=====
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds.  The pessimist fears it
is true."  -J. Robert Oppenheimer