From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 2:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: first question

>should
>be looking for a 100mm prime lens for the portrait lens, but I can't
seem
>find much on ebay.  Actually none, except for some screw mounts.  There

>are
>a lot of 135mm lenses.  Would the do similar things?

The normal "portrait lens" range is 85-120mm, but a 135 might work for
some sorts of portraits.  The issue is that a 50mm lens tends to produce
little bit of "wide angle distortion" of features compared to what we
are
used to, whereas the slightly longer focal length of 85-120 "compresses"
the
relative size of the nose and ears back to what looks normal or
attractive
to most people.  For many many people an 85mm lens is the standard
portrait lens, rather than 100.  Much longer than 105mm and you start to
get a portrait that some people see as unnaturally "compressed" in the
facial features.

SNIPPED