-----Original Message-----
From: Markus Maurer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 1:14 AM

<snip>

> there were four of us sharing a 'room'.  When you left the ship you had to

I urgently need my privacy, I would not have worked on a ship under those
conditions.
I have been forced to live like that in the army, that's sufficient... :-)

--I must admit that the second time around aboard the ship I had my own
quarters since I was then the engineer in charge.  Many memories, especially
of that stateroom, glad I did it - TWICE!  Not sure if I would sign up to do
it again - doing double duty as an engineer and a translator was a bit much,
especially as we were approached by foreign military vessels :-)  You don't
want to know what the Army guys first thought was...

> ships, was
> not being able to travel the Panama Canal.  I worked at Rodman AB for some
> time and saw the traffic daily.

that's why I posted some more views for a little compensation :-)

--And I thank you for it ;-)

<snip>

> 5     a small town in China, Police and military controlled

> America.  I will not even bring up the Penal Colony we 'visited' on our
> maiden voyage out of Panama :-)

"exotic" places are seldom the real good ones... (expensive, unfree)

My absolutely best travels where with the first ship MS "Caribia" at the age
of 17.

14 days Europe with Hamburg, Bremen, Rotterdam, Le Havre, England and once
Denmark
14 days from England to Panama (good to save some money)
1 month in Central America: Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, El Salvador and
once Mexico and more.

3 times the same route

maybe you have been to Puntarenas in Costa Rica too? The most beautiful
place I have been, "everything"
was "extraordinary" ;-)

--I have not been to Puntarenas.  I did visit San Jose and did take a trip
to Montezuma on the west coast.  Definitely a place I would like to see once
again.  This was back in 1986.
I assume you went into La Ceiba in Honduras?

> 6     and a cliché shot for the romantic:

> not seeing any land; the  awesome sunrises and sunsets as I messed around
> with a harmonica on the back deck.
> It is very understandable - the call of the water...

Take out the harmonica for some sweet memories Cesar, this one is for you:

--Awesome!  Reminds me of the time I made an entry in the log book about
getting to observe a meteor shower from the bridge - it put things in
perspective and how we did not need to stress that which would not have an
impact in the world at large.

and, don't miss the next "waves" with photos form the vessel, crew at
leisure and seamen baptism and
some more landscapes....

soon in selected Pentax theatres only
Markus