----- Original Message -----
From: "Ann Sanfedele"
Subject: Re: CF cards and readers question

> I got a SanDIsk 512mb flash card. and a USB 2.0
> SanDisk card reader, but it
> was pointed out to me that I don't really need the
> card reader - I can just
> use the cord that came with the camera to go
> directly into a usb port on my
> computer.  I haven't opened the SUB 2.0 Card
> reader package yet - what is
> the advantage, if any, of using that instead of
> just pluggin into a port
> directly?

I find it more convenient to have the reader permanently residing on
my desk rather than trying to find a safe place to perch a camera
(the file by pile filing system is not camera friendly).

Transfer speeds are much quicker (remember, I am using Pentax, not
Canon).

As soon as I put the card into the reader, the computer thinks there
is a small hard drive there, which means I have two way data transfer
(I really don't know if cameras allow this or not), so I can upload
what I want printed and take the card to the lab. This expedites the
transfer process.
I am not risking damage to the camera by plugging it in and then
unplugging it frequently.
Thats all.

William Robb