--- frank theriault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  --- Toralf Lund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Another slightly OT question:
> >
> > Does anyone here have any experience with C41
> > process B&W film?
> >

> Yes.
>
> HTH,
> frank

Okay, I guess I wasn't the first one to try to be
funny. <vbg>

Seriously, yeah, I've tried it a couple of times.
Tried some Ilford stuff.  I was very disappointed that
it had a purplish cast to it.

I was pursuaded to try Kodak Portra b&w, as I was told
that really good minilabs can "dial out" the purple
and make it look more like "real" b&w.

So, I took it to the shop in town whose minilab I like
best, and told them to dial out the purple.

The results weren't horrible, but for some reason it
didn't look as good as "real" b&w.  I'm sure that was
just me being me, and that in a blind A/B test, I
couldn't tell the difference, but I thought I could,
anyway.

Problem was, the film was expensive as all get-out,
that minilab is much more expensive that the corner
drug store, so the film/processing combo cost about
the same as taking HP5+ or TriX to my favourite b&w
lab and getting back 36 Quickprints.  My b&w lab is
closer to my house, too.

Why bother?

cheers,
frank

=====
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst"
********
"Of course it's all luck"
  --  Henri Cartier-Bresson