This person has an interesting website talking about this whole thing, which of course is a long stewing religious argument:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/christie/comparo/part4.html

No real conclusions, but s/he makes drops the hint that people probably like the sound that results from the type of distortions that LP brings, hence the "it sounds better to me" argument is what it all boils down to.

frank theriault wrote:

A couple of thoughts, and then that's it for me on this most OT of threads:

First, I don't give a rat's ass about what engineers say, what numbers say, what theory says.

I listen to music. My ears decide what sounds best, not numbers or theory. No, I'm not an engineer or a scientist, I don't know any theory at all. But, I know what I hear.

I have a pretty decent CD playback system. Not high end or audiophile, but better than most people have. It sounds pretty good.

I had (before a CD rack fell on it and bent the tonearm - how's that for irony!!) a pretty good vinyl playback system. Not audiophile, but better than most. It would always amaze me.

There was a certain "punch" and portrayal of dynamics that I heard from vinyl that my CD's weren't able to reproduce. There was a much better soundstage, better space between the instruments that I couldn't hear on my CD's.

Am I saying that vinyl or analogue is always better than digital? Nope. Just that in my system, vinyl was better. It did wear faster, so I didn't play it all that often.

Point two: CD's are deteriorating at a much faster rate than experts predicted. Some are unplayable, as the little pits that the laser reads are becoming craters, and therefore unreadable. Experts don't know why, but improper manufacturing techniques may be to blame - whatever, it's happening regardless of whether the CD's are even played or not.

I agree with JCO with his comment on analogue master tapes. I've got some CD's made from old jazz masters (Rudy Van Geller rereleases) that are quite astounding for 40 and 45 year old tapes.

cheers,
frank