--- Antonio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Rubish, I have compared records played back on a
> LP12 and CD on a top of the
> line LINN CD player with DAC and there really was no
> discernable quality
> difference. When CD frist came out perhaps you could
> have argued there was a
> difference - but nowadays things are a lot better.
<snipped personal message to JCO>

I think (hey, lookie here, he's bringing it back to
photography! <vbg>) that the sad truth is that it's
the software that in the vast majority of cases, is
the limiting factor in sound quality.  Most mass
produced CD's and vinyl just sounds bad.  Period.  It
sounds bad on lousy equipment, it sounds bad on good
equipment.

I also think (does anyone really care what I think?
<VBG>) that the medium (ie:  film or digital sensor)
in ~most~ cases doesn't make much difference in the
quality of the final image, especially for the average
consumer.  Please, all you MF and LF guys, don't jump
all over me, I merely said that for ~most~ people
(including many pros) for ~most~ applications both
media work just fine, and aren't limiting.

So, it's really about storage, handling and
convenience, and again, for ~most~ people digital is
the way to go.

That doesn't mean it's better.  Just different.

I prefer film for all sorts of reasons, not the least
which is that I don't have a digital capture system,
and quite frankly, I'm just comfortable with film,
having used it for about 40 years now (I think I was
around 8 or 10 when I got my first Brownie Starflash).

For 90% (or more) of the applications right now,
quality isn't an issue, IMHO.

Okay, now you can all jump all over me, and tell me
I'm wrong!  <vbg>

cheers,
frank

=====
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst"
********
"Of course it's all luck"
  --  Henri Cartier-Bresson