On 13 Sep 2004 at 16:14, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> So, assuming one doesn't
> have an investment in CF cards, what's the downside to using the SD cards?  Do
> the little P&S Pentax digis used the SD cards?  If so, makes perfect sense, up
> to a point, for Pentax to continue using them in the istDS.

Absolute capacity and cost at the moment. SD cards max out at 1GB at a higher
cost than their CF equivalent and the cheaper Micro-drive solutions in CF will
get you 4GB of storage for about the same price. For someone who already owns
many GB of CF storage it's quite a turn off but starting fresh I guess it would
be OK. However if you do look at higher end models with a view to moving up in
the future you'll quickly see that SD isn't the favoured storage media. WRT
utility a 1GB card stores only around 70 RAW files from the *ist D, I wouldn't
want to be shooting RAW with less than 2GB per card.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998