Caveman thinks that we should revise the "Rangefinder bad SLR good" school of thought. With some rare exceptions, it was valid in the 35 mm film days, when we were invaded by hords of dubious quality P&S cameras. Things have changed, give me some less noise at high ISO speed and less shutter lag in something like canon's G6 and I'll see no point in having a slapping mirror inside a camera.

Shel Belinkoff wrote:

How do you see the little camera for the purpose I see it, as a step up and
an intro to DSLR photography for the P&S user wanting an upward transition?