Shel, I often carry a LX and a MX as backup, sort of a High/Low strategy. If the something horrible happens to my LX I can still use
all of my film and lenses with the MX. Be a bit difficult to squeeze the CF card into the backup camera if you want to do the same thing
with digital. Still if does make sense if they want to move Optio users up the food chain.

Shel Belinkoff wrote:

Just took a quick look at the preview, and the camera, at first glance,
looks like a nice step up from the P&S and some "prosumer" models, and is
certainly something that I'd consider as a first foray int DSLR territory. I'm disappointed that there's no CF card, but in truth, I'm not sure why. I know that sounds somewhat silly, but IMO, a card is a card as long as it
stores the info and operates quickly enough. However, I don't know what
the current capacity limitations are on these smaller-sized cards. So,
assuming one doesn't have an investment in CF cards, what's the downside to
using the SD cards? Do the little P&S Pentax digis used the SD cards? If
so, makes perfect sense, up to a point, for Pentax to continue using them
in the istDS.

How do you see the little camera for the purpose I see it, as a step up and
an intro to DSLR photography for the P&S user wanting an upward transition?
This questions comes in light of a visit I made to a local photo store
where they sell LOTS of the little Optio type cameras, and seeing dozens of
them on the shelves got to thinking that something between them and a
full-on DSLR might be nice.

Shel