Bob W wrote:

Hi,

Hm, what's a wind-up window? Best windows are of course the opening
kind ;-) (I mean the normal ones, err, the most common ones, err, or
is it otherwise in your country <g>, the ones which open to the
outside or inside completely)

In World of Mike car windows have a metal lip on the top which his chauffeur
uses to pull the window down, and push it up again. Rather like the windows
on steam locomotive doors.

Some cars apparently now have a winding mechanism based on cogs and
wires. Mike is referring to this.

Rumour has it that one day even these may be replaced by a small motor