Toralf Lund wrote:

Steve Jolly wrote:

Mishka wrote:

in other words, i'll have to pay ~$2K and have an inferior system. how
is that cool?
oh, and if i were to shoot b&w, iwould have really great 2MP pixies
(from which i will be able to make 144M files). wow.

No, your b&w photos would still be 6MP. I don't think you've understood the technology.

Or maybe he does. Of course, most of us know by now that 6MP colour photos also really have only about 1.5 million-pixel's worth of unique information, since there are 6 million sensor elements, of which each captures just one colour component, and there are twice as many "green" as "blue" or "red". In that sense there isn't any difference between the amount of information in a B&W and colour . On the other hand, if you interpret 6MP as always meaning 6 million sensor elements, a 6MP greyscale sensor, i.e. one without the RGB filters would give you 6Million *distinct* pixels, and as such, a 6MP RGB sensor is equivalent to a 2MP greyscale sensor.

I think, however, the main problem with B&W is that you decompose the light via filters, then put it back together, which is not quite the same thing as registering the amount of light (as opposed to colour) directly using a B&W film, or a plain CCD for that matter.

Well, there you go! I've always suspected that, but...

keith  <g>

But I wasn't going to get involved in more discussions like this...

- T