"Gerald F. Cermak" wrote:

> Well, how about allowing some people to "opt out" of critiques by adding a
> line to their submission email stating such.  Or will that too much overhead
> for the PUG maintainers?

Why would you share an image with the rest of the list if you don't
want to hear what they think of it?

I still can't make up my mind about what I'd think if Shel laid into
one of my images that way, though.   I've met Shel in person, and I'm
sure he's not trying to give offence, but I don't know if I could take
comments like that without getting very defensive.

On the other hand, at least the image got talked about.  I've submitted
to several of the previous PUGs, and the usual response is a deafening
silence.  I was overjoyed that somebody actually commented about my May
submission (Tom Paxton).

I've tried to comment on at least some of the pictures on most months.
Sometimes I'll just mention what really worked for me, but I usually
will offer a few suggestions on slight variations.  I was gratified
to find, this month, that at least two of the photographers felt that
my remarks were worth responding to (and that in one case I'd echoed
thoughts that had already occurred to the submitter).

So why haven't I signed up to be a formal commentator?  Because I don't
want to *have* to come up with comments about images I don't relate to.
I haven't made any comment about the various shots of children, because
as a rule I find them less appealing.  As such, I feel that I'm less
likely to share what lets others become intrigued by these shots.  In
fact I'm unlikely to comment on any image that is primarily a portrait,
because I don't often take that kind of shot (present gallery excepted?).

--
John Francis  [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Silicon Graphics, Inc.
(650)933-8295                        2011 N. Shoreline Blvd. MS 43U-991