On Thu, 3 May 2001, Dan Scott wrote:

> Why don't we do it the other way around? If I recall correctly, the
> critics pretty much volunteered themselves--why not let the people who
> want criticism volunteer to receive it? All they would have to do is
> include an "I'd like criticism on this submission" in the text of
> their PUG submission letter.

If we're going to abandon the structured comments, then the best way would
be not to dump more work on Bill's head.  We could do it like we did
before this experiment.  If something about a piece really catches your
eye, comment about it.  If, as a submitter, you want your photo commented
on, send an e-mail to the list asking us to do it, and I'm sure some
people would be happy to oblige.  That's simple enough, rigth?

Personally, I don't care whether we keep the structured comments or
not.  I thought they might be a good way to get the list talking about
photographs instead of just equipment, and that they would show that yes,
people are looking at the photos.  But if the people submitting photos
feel pressured because of the comments, and some commentators themselves
are feeling like it's a school assignment, then it's just not worth it.

If it was just Shel's comments that bothered people, then we could
probably find some way around it.  But since several people have come out
and said that they don't like the whole idea of commenting on photos that
were originally just meant to be displayed, then let's stop with the
comments and go back to the way it was before.  I think the comments were
a fun experiment, but if it's not working out then it's a stupid thing to
divide the list over.  I'm sure we can find other things to fight about
instead. <g>

So, beginning with the June PUG, I won't be coordinating the comments any
more.  If you want to talk about any photos that catch your eye, feel free
to do so.  If you want people to critique your photo, just ask the
list.  Some people have mentioned that the idea of critiquing every photo
on the PUG violates its open nature, and I can see the point that they're
making.  The point seems to be that the PUG is more of a place to share
photos that interest us, and that critiquing all of the photos is against
the open spirit of the PUG.  So... less work for me.  :)  Consider the
experiment officially dead as of now.

chris