I also still favor the assignments.  Here's why...

In the two months we've done it, I was assigned a number of photos I would
not have commented on normally.  I found it difficult to comment on those
but I learned things from it anyway.

1. I really had to examine the image.  It was easy to see things I didn't
like in these cases.  But as I looked and looked, I almost always found
things I did like.  I was able (I think) to get a sense of what the
photographer saw.

2. Upon close examination I often saw techniques in practice.  While the
total image may not have turned me on, seeing the use of those techniques
did. I realized many images deserve more than a cursory glance and a quick
judgement.

3. When I had ideas of how to possibly improve on the image, cropping, etc.,
I then thought of several of my own images and learned that what I was
suggesting to others, could apply equally well to some of my own work.

If the group has considered the "experiment over", I'll not try to sway it.
I did consider it highly beneficial though.

Tom C.