My gray day histograms were not clipped. I bracketed each shot by half stops and the middle one looked best on most shots. The histograms generally were far from the shadow end, and the highlight end had a few spikes from some of the white sky highlights but the meat of the curve was centered. On most shots, I pushed up the exposure until the histogram reached the right end and pushed the shadows until it reached the lower end. I turned up the color temperature to 5850. Then I increased saturation and contrast significantly. I used shadows/highlights to mellow some of the gray sky reflections. Once I had more color in these I burned them in. Then I increased red saturation only another step. Finally, I adjusted contrast and brightness a bit more. On some exposures I pulled back the green curve a bit in the middle of the range. I posted one of these before. I'll post the url again, along with a url for a conversion of the untouched RAW image. The tweaked image is first, the untouched one second. In addition to the steps outlined above, you'll see I had to remove some parking lot concrete blocks, and I cropped out the sky. (That was Annsan's suggestion. Thanks Ann:-) I did 16 shots for the magazine article. I've printed four or five on the Epson 2200, and they look very nice. That's usually an indication that they will print well on offset four-color process after conversion to CMYK.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2816809&size=lg
http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2853243&size=lg