William Robb mused:

Oh, I don't think it's the *meter* that's fooled; it has a very good
understanding of just what the reflected light level turns out to be.

The foolishness comes if the operator assumes this should be taken as
the value for setting the exposure, without applying any corrections.
There's an exposure compensation setting on the camera for a reason.
Failing to use it is just as stupid as failing to focus or frame.