I only own older "extension only" macros; from what I gather from
reading, "zoomy zoom" macros suffer no light falloff when close-focusing
but may lose a bit of focal length.  Sounds like a good trade-off to
me.

-Lon

Rob Studdert wrote:

I find using macro lenses at non-macro distances most often more advantageous than not. I see (and test) no optical deficit for one (over regular lenses of comparable quality, FL and speed) and secondly I only have to lug a single lens for the FL to cover a multitude of shooting situations. I'd still like to see indisputable proof of just how inferior my zoomy zoom zoom type macros are over the old fixed lens designed macros in normal shooting situations.