From: Rob Studdert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 8:46 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: A Question About Macro Lenses

On 15 Nov 2004 at 7:23, J. C. O'Connell wrote:

> Unless the 125mm zoomed out to 62.5mm at 1:1, it is
> going to need exposure compensation.

Of course you are correct, I was simply drawing a relative comparison to

another lens.

> What you have is essentially
> a variable aperture zoom with that lens, how do
> do you know what exposure compensations to use?

I don't really care but I do know now that relative to a "non-zoom"
macro lens
it requires about an extra half stop when approaching 1:1. I haven't
used
external meters for macro photography since the late 80's. Then I had a
67 and
bellows and I was glad to get my hands on a TTL prism.

> Does the lens barrel have exposure compensation
> markings on it?

No

> At least with a fixed focal length and aperture you
> can calculate the correct compensations based on magnification or
> bellows extension, but with variable aperture those techniques won't
> work...

..or you (I) could use the TTL metering, which I do quite successfully.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998