I have this neat little photo calculator on my system called fCalc. When I compare diagonal angle of view of APS vs 35mm the 40mm is almost an exact replacement for a 50mm in AOV so I would guess the 43mm would be your best bet. If you believe fCalc that is.
If you use the standard 1.5x multiplier suggested by everyone else then You'd be looking for either the FA 35f2 or the A 35f2
as these translate to the equivalent of 52mm.

I doubt this helps however.

You can get fCalc at http://www.tangentsoft.net/ as I've said it's a neat program.

Jon Glass wrote:

What with all the recent discussion on "best" lenses, etc. I've been wondering....

What would make a good "normal" lens for an *istD or *istDS? I'm not looking of "best" but what lenses made by Pentax would give a good image, comparable to something like 50/1.4 or 50/1.7? What wide angle lenses would make good "replacements" For reference, I'm not thinking AF, but rather something older, even screw-mount. To confess, the more I think of adapting an ancient screw-mount lens to digital, the more intriguing it sounds. :-) (partly the beauty of putting such an ancient lens on such modern technology, partly just the challenge of it, and only lastly "price.") :-)

In this case, I suppose, the more the merrier, not the _one_ "best." :-D

--
I can understand why mankind hasn't given up war. During a war you get to drive tanks through the sides of buildings and shoot foreigners - two things that are usually frowned on during peacetime.
--P.J. O'Rourke