Thanks for the link.
I do believe I won't get much wiser, I'm afraid.
What I was looking for, was a way to trick the d.... machine to act as if
the almost full ink cartridge was a new one. I guess the official EPSON web
site won't give me this....

I think all the automatics of this printer system sucks! Not to mention the
user guide: The subjecs concerning replacing ink cartridges and cleaning the
printer head are described in 4 different chapters! Very clever!

I have re-inserted the used black ink, which to my surprise, worked!
However, since the prints were still banded, I tried to re-install the
cleaning cartridge. Unfortunatly unsuccessfully! The red light for "empty
cartridge" is now on. And of cource nothing works. I can't clean the head
and it's no use to put in new ink as long as the head is not clean. That's
like the old song about the hole in the bucket!
This is how EPSON tricks me to buy a lot of ink, that will never reach a
sheet of paper.

I guess I'll leave the cleaning fluid/cartridge in the machine over night
(recommended by the cleaning cartridge manufacturer).
Tomorrow I'll put in a fresh black ink cartridge. If the prints are still
bad, I'll simply ditch the whole thing. It cost me something like 700 USD
four years ago. Today (after app. 100 prints) it's probably worhless. A new
printer will cost me less than giving this one a repair. I still think it is
very annoying that EPSON, not me, decides when to add cleaning fluid or when
to replace an ink cartridges. I won't buy an Epson printer again! Big
mistake! I have spent more money on replacing full or half full cartridges
than on useable prints! I guess I'll just go back to having the lab do my
prints. It's much cheaper and less annoying.

Jens Bladt
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://hjem.get2net.dk/bladt