William Robb mused:

That wasn't my experience.  With entry-level equipment there
can be problems with scanning some slide films (Velvia is
the prime example).  And, of course, colour negative film
is a little more forgiving on exposure latitude.  But most
folks who sell their shots have something better than the
cheapest scanners, and know how to get the exposure right.
Once I got a better scanner I switched to Provia 100F (from
Kodak Supra 100) for improved colour fidelity & less grain.

Plus, of course, the publishing world had pretty much been
insisting on slides for pre-press for some years, and most
of the time those slides went straight into a scanner.
That market, needless to say, is now almost entirely digital.