On 5 Dec 2004 at 18:16, Fred Widall wrote:

> Also tried out my Tamrom SP500mm mirror lens on the camera. Kind
> of nice having a 750mm F8 lens available. Setting ASA to
> 1600 allowed me to use  a shutter speed of 1/1000 sec, which made hand
> holding quite easy. Again the camera was in manual focus and 'Av' mode.

Hey, you're not supposed to be able to shoot hand held with a lens that long

:-)

> Not something I'll use a lot, but it was fun having such a long
> lens to play with. There's a fair amount of noise in the '1600' images but
> I've discovered that there istD profiles available for Neat Image (v4)
> which do an excellent job in reducing it.

You are best off producing the profiles to suite yourself as each is dependent
not just on ISO but on exposure time, sharpening and contrast settings. For
critical work I shoot the scene in and out of focus so that I have good soft
areas (which display the noise characteristics for the given settings but no
image detail) from which I dynamically build noise profiles. The results can be
stunning.

However you may find that if you shoot RAW and post-process in PS CS the NR
facilities will significantly reduce the need to use other NR utilities plus
you could eliminate some of the nasty CA that sometimes rears its head (such as
in your 18mm shot)

> I'm really enjoying experimenting with the camera, and I haven't even
> started on changing the myraid of possible settings, and comparing
> the results.

:-)

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998