In your example the lie was not the photo but in the context, where it was used
as if it was a puddle of blood.

You could also say that the intent in the manipulation was to lie, but again,
this could have been acieved by the photographer in many ways. The photographer
is a lier, not the photograph.

I have another example:  If you want to describe the feeling of sitting around
a camp fire under the stars this is impossible to describe with one exposure,
because you can't capture both the stars and the camp fire in the same picture,
the contrast is to big.  To give a truthful description of the situation you
have to use two exposures, and add the stars to the picture of the people
around the fire.  I picture without stars tells a lie, the "manipulated" photo
tells the truth.

Photographs in mass media are illustrations, not proof. It is the photographer
you have to choose whether you want to believe or not. He will always chose the
picture that reflects his understanding of the situation.

Usually in such discussions (appologies to those who are bored by it) I usually
give this link:  www.uelsmann.com which shows how much manipultion you can do
in the darkroom, and to my own unmanipulated photos:
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=366144 in which all manipulation
is performed during the exposure.

My point is that any rules will lead to absurdities. My series show the truth
as it was seen through the camera, but still they lie, because they show
something that wasn't real. Could the "orapple" be shown in an article about
fruit, and gene technology?

DagT