On Apr 18, 2005, at 7:09 PM, Keith Whaley wrote:

"Inept?"
That's a chickenshit word, it isn't apt, it doesn't apply and is not appreciated. No call for using thqt sort of language at all!

It is perfectly apt and describes my opinion of Graywolf's use of the language perfectly.

===
inept

adj 1: not elegant or graceful in expression; "an awkward prose style"; "a clumsy apology"; "his cumbersome writing style"; "if the rumor is true, can anything be more inept than to repeat it now?" [syn: awkward, clumsy, cumbersome, inapt, ill-chosen] 2: generally incompetent and ineffectual; "feckless attempts to repair the plumbing"; "inept handling of the account" [syn: feckless] 3: revealing lack of perceptiveness or judgment or finesse; "an inept remark"; "it was tactless to bring up those disagreeable" [syn: tactless]
----
Main Entry: inept

Part of Speech:  adjective 1

Definition:  clumsy

Synonyms:  all thumbs, artless, awkward, bumbling, bungling, butterfingers, gauche, halting, ham-handed, inadept, incapable, incompetent, inefficient, inexpert, loser, maladroit, real loser, unapt, undexterous, unfacile, ungraceful, unhandy, unproficient, unskilled, unskillful, wooden

Antonyms:  competent

Sources: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University, Acronym Finder, © 1988-2004 Mountain Data Systems
===

He referred to a "bulky second gear" ... which implies he was asking something about the size and weight of the gearbox internals. He meant a "balky second gear" which is a description of its behavior in operation. Get it?

Just for that, you don't get to look at a scan of my '58 Guiletta roadster.

I have dozens of pictures of Guilietta Spiders in my Alfa Romeo reference books. Not one of those books has a reference to anything like a "Guilietta Super Spider" in any year of production. The only reason to be interested in a picture of YOUR car is to celebrate a mutual interest and appreciation for something beautiful. Otherwise I could care less.

There is a Guilia TI Super, yes, introduced in 1964 ... it is a performance sedan. But no "Super Spider". The Guilietta Spider was introduced in 1955, the Guilietta Spider Veloce in 1956; the Veloce model made 90 hp, had a 5 speed transmission. Graywolf is incorrect in his recollection; must be getting too old.

the kid,
Godfrey