On Apr 19, 2005, at 8:31 AM, John Forbes wrote:

So when Bush and Blair say "They have weapons of mass destruction", they are simply employing a sarcastic elision of "They have no weapons of mass destruction".

No. When those yokels said "They have weapons of mass destruction" they meant "We intend to send armed forces to do battle in Iraq because we don't like them: give us the money to do it." And evidently both Congress and Parliament understood, and agreed.

You have to translate English to your native tongue with deference to the context. ;-)

Godfrey
... I didn't agree ...