Ann,

A circular works on any camera. A linear polarizer can cause problems on cameras that have complex light paths to the AF or exposure meter sensor. Linear polarizers are cheaper and more efficient than circular ones, that's why it's important to know the distinction and when they can be used.

Godfrey