From: "Pål Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 11:36 PM
Subject: MZ-S; First impression

> Finally it arrived. I would first like to say that those who don't get why
the MZ-S cost what it does are the same people that don't know why a
Mercedes Benz cost more than a similar sized Korean car even if the Korean
car has more equipment.

> This camera has the most solid, stiffest feel of any AF Pentax or probably
any Pentax ever.

> In spite what other people say, I don't find that it is THAT small. Its
quite high but rather short.

> What surprises me is that nobody has mentioned how quiet it is. The first
time I fired the shutter I was certain that the camera was defective because
I couldn't hear the mirror slam. I've never heard a quieter slr; its almost
like a rangefinder. It has mirror prefire but does it need it? I've never
used such a vibration free camera. The Z-1p is a noisy tractor in comparison
Not only are the shutter and mirror quiet, but also the film transport.
While the Z-1p when rewinding the film scares all the birds and wildlife
away, the MZ-S is barely audible.

> The interface is excellent. I was to start with sceptical to the AF point
selection switch but it make perfect sense. In contrast to other cameras,
like most Canons for example, the MZ-S is not made for one armed people. The
left arm is supposed to support the lens and adjust aperture and the focus
point selector is right there.
> I did expect to prefer to adjust the main dial by my indexfinger from the
front but found it more convenient to just rest the thumb on the wheel from
the back.  The your index finger is free to operate the shutter release
button, the "green button" and the DOF preview button.  I cannot praise
interface enough for those who mainly use aperture priority mode and manual.
The MZ-S has both available instantaneously and interchangeably. I cannot
imagine myself using exposure compensation anymore because you can set any
exposure you want anytime with minimum of fiddling.

> AF is faster than on the Z-1p. This is really felt when using lenses like
the FA* 600/4 and the FA* 200/4 Macro. It obviously use a more powerful
motor than the Z-1p. I did however, have some problem with the camera
hunting for focus while shooting birds this afternoon. However, it was under
very demanding situations so I will wait for more experience until a make
final judgement in this regard. It anyway offer real progress from any othe
Pentax SLR in the AF department.
> The automatic focus point selection seems surprisingly good by just trying
pointing the camera at various subjects.

> The viewfinder is brighter but smaller than on the Z-1p. I like this; I
find it easier to compose with a viewfinder where the eye don't have to
wander around the screen in order to get the overview. I also find it easier
to focus manually with slow lenses and low light than the Z-1p. The screen
reminds me of the new LX screen and I believe its probably of the same type.

> It's also very stylish. Few pictures do it justice. Not only is it stylish
but its styling is original and has presence.

> Yes it is true; Its sexy and its smells good.
>

> Now the negative part:
>
> Dataimprinting: Why on earth is the use of auto bracketting imprinted but
not focal length (like on the 645n)? I mean, the bracketed exposure values
are of course imprinted anyway but why imprint whether bracketing was done
with the auto bracketing function or done manually? I rather know what lens
I used.
> The MZ-S may not imprint actual shutter speed in bulb mode. This is a
major bug; shutterspeed information is particularly important in low light
photography in "B" mode. I'm not sure the MZ-S do this - the manual is a bit
unclear here. It clearly says that bulb is a separate exposure mode.
However, in the overview of imprinted exposure modes bulb is not listed.
However, in the list of shutterspeed imprinting it says that in bulb mode BU
is imprinted - but is it really imprinted in the shutterspeed field? If so,
what is imprinted in the exposure mode field? On the 645n BU is imprinted in
the exposure mode field and the actual time is imprinted in the
shutterspeed field. The fact that the 645n print actual shutterspeed is not
mentioned in the manual so theres still hope for that the MZ-S do this as
well.