Hello all,

I'm a recently subscribed user to this list, but have been skimming it
fairly comprehensively under the pretense of doing work at my real job
(which has nothing to do with photography). I'm a pretty rank amateur (and
rank is the right term, as many of my photographs stink) that jumped into
the world of SLR photography about a year and a half ago. Only within the
last six or so months have I discovered the wonder that is photo.net and
other resources over the net, and reading the deluge of information has
cased me to feel a little uneasy about my "system" (what little there is of
it). I've just got one body (the MZ-7) and a pair of lenses (a Tamron 28-200
Super II and a 50/1.8), along with a few goodies I've picked up to extend
the camera's usefulness (cable release, wireless remote, 400-FTZ flash). The
reason I'm bringing this up as an extension to the ebay thread is that I'm
concerned about the Pentax system, particularly given midrange competition
like the Canon Elan 7. To my untrained eye, it appears as though the HSM on
many Canon lenses, and the IS features on a few, are category killers (the
Nikon Silent Wave stuff is hideously expensive) and relatively moderately
priced. As well, the features on the bodies, while perhaps somewhat
whiz-bang, are relatively comprehensive even on a mid-line model (DoF, spot
metering, MLU, really fast AF, and the Elan apparently has nearly silent
operation). I know you've seen the question within the last month, but I'm
wondering what keeps you wedded to the Pentax system - is it the substantial
investment in glass, or the joy of being able to find older quality MF
lenses for cheap on occasion? I'm certainly not trying to start a jihad,
just making the (perhaps well-worn) observation that Pentax seems even more
conservative with lens features than even N----. Hopefully I'm not merely
falling victim to corporate hype, but I'd be interested by opinions.
Apologies if I'm treading overly familiar ground, but the situation seemed
pertinent to ask this as a corollary.

Thanks,

Kevin