Interspersed

Shel

> [Original Message]
> From: Joseph Tainter >
Shel's questions to me (and my answers embedded):

> 1)      Will you be making darkroom prints directly from the negs?
>
> I expect so, but I may have the negatives scanned too. I don't remember
> whether my Nikon LS 2000 can scan b/w negatives. I know it won't scan
Scala.

The LS2000  will certainly scan B&W.  A few years ago a friend taught me a
few things about scanning, and he had an LS2000 and the 4000.  We scanned
the same neg - Ilford HP5+ - on both scanners at various resolutions, and
they all came out just fine. I know that Nikon software was used in both
scanners.

> 3)      Will you process the film yourself or have a lab do it?
>
> A lab will do it. I still have the equipment somewhere, but haven't used
> it in 35 years.
>
> 4)      In either case, what developing technique will be used (Jobo
> processor, dip-n-dunk at the lab, carefully hand developed in a small
tank)?

> I don't know. Labs don't process so much conventional b/w these days.
> There used to be a specialty lab in Albuquerque that would do a nice,
> careful job. I'll check whether they're still around.

Under these circumstances then, I'd use one of the C41 B&W emulsions.  The
Ilford doesn't give me the depth and tonality that I prefer, and the
various Kodak C41s have always given satisfactory results.  If it were me,
I'd choose one or another of the KOdak versions (I can no longer keep up
with their emulsion names), bracket exposures, and, if the results are
important, duplicate each shot in case the lab or the camera screws
something up, and just let the lab process the film.  Maybe do a test run
to see what kind of results your lab gives you.

> 6)      Will the negs be scanned?
>
> As noted, I would like to.

No need to scan the negs, really.  You'll have bracketed exposures, and the
printing process for the negs is simple and straightforward - assuming a
competent lab.

> 9)      Oh, yeah, will you be using 35mm format, 645, 6x6, 6x6, or
> something larger (if you can find and use a 6x9 camera you may be way
> ahead of the game)
>
> Oh, it will be 35 mm.

OK, for 8x10 prints with properly exposed and processed C41, you'll be just
fine.

HTH,

Shel