I don't remember exactly.

My grandfather, my father and both my father's brothers were interested in photography. I guess I got interested because they were. I started taking pictures at the age of 8 ... didn't see a photo book (as opposed to a book about cameras and photographic techniques) until I was in high school when I'd already gotten through the learning curve of Rolleiflex, Argus C3, Kodak Retina, and into Leica and Nikon cameras.

I joined the HS photo staff when I was a freshman; by second year I was the "chief" as it were. I looked at yearbooks and felt I could do much better. I started looking at Art books about second year of high school. Artists like Andrew Wyeth, Mondrian, Robert Frank, HCB, Eduard Weston, Ansel Adams, Halsmann, Karsh, Jerry Uelsmann, Picasso, amongst others, all started to move me.

My "style" started to develop way back then, and continues to evolve every day.

Godfrey