----- Original Message ----- From: "Kenneth Waller"
Subject: Re: A couple of PESOs

Anyone using long lenses (Ken, Tom!!!) any tips or advice for using one
of
these beasties would be appreciated.

Bill, first of all shoot, shoot and shoot some more.

I don't know what shutter speed you were using but it doesn't appear the
vibration is an issue with your set up.

I was trying to keep the shutter speed up, these were shot at ISO 400, at
around 1/1000 second. The aperture was close to wide open, around f/6.3.

I keep my movement control knobs as tight as I can and still get the
movement I want.

Instinctively, that is what I did also.

I keep my tripod as short as possible to lessen possible vibration (I'm
using a carbon fiber Gitzo which seem somewhat better than an equivalent
aluminum tripod). I drape my left arm  over the barrel of my 600 to load
it
and dampen any potential vibration, but I generally shoot with a high
enough
shutter that this hasn't been a problem.

I saw your tripod, nice rig. I'm using a Zone VI wooden tripod that weighs
about 15 pounds.
I probably had the legs about halfway extended.
It's a pretty solid tripod, and it is the best of the three that I have for
damping shutter/mirror vibration (In case anyone remembers the Tripod
Follies of a while back).

I did try holding down on the lens at the gimbal point, it seemed to help,
but the biggest help was the two second delay. It's not bad for shooting a
hot air balloon, not much good for anything that is actually moving though.

Do you use the shutter button or the remote release?

And shoot, shoot and shoot some more.

I'll do that. I might do some bear hunting in BC in a couple of weeks.....

Thanks for looking, and for the advice.
Bill