I concur.  My two *istD bodies have a combined total of around 40,000
images.  Neither one has had a hiccup through the entire time.  That
is about 1,100 rolls of film.  Far more wear and tear than I ever put
on my film bodies.  You may ask why so many images - the ability to
shoot speculation with digital has had a major impact for me.
Basically, I can shoot events where I may or may not make money (kids
sports, social events, etc).  When shooting film, I couldn't even
consider this venue because it would be way too costly.

If you were to count the number of frames shot by these digital SLR's
I think you would find that they are more durable than you might have
imagined.  Most film cameras don't have that much use put on them. If
you think of all the reports of ZX-5 series cameras breaking, without
nearly the amount of use, I would say that the film cameras are
perhaps less robust than the digis.

--
Best regards,
Bruce