On 26 Sep 2005 at 13:21, mike wilson wrote:

> This is what I find paradoxical about the whole "digital revolution".  On one
> hand, there are statements like the above - 12,000dpi to extract anything like
> the full information from a 35mm frame.  On the other, there are the "6mp is
> enough" brigade.  I know they are not exclusive.

Put it this way you can scan film at a resolution that effectively melds the
grains which produces manageable file sizes and image files which are readily
post processed in the normal manner. Or you can scan at a resolution that
captures all grain detail, creates very large files and requires special
treatment in order that it can be post processed in a normal manner (filtering
needs to be applied that creates a con-tone image). Scanning at a resolution
that is close to the grain size can cause difficult to deal with aliasing
errors.

> That I understand.  Is the ISO scale linear wrt grain size?  If so, I assume
> that to get the same effect from a 25ISO frame you will need to scan at
> 128,000dpi.

No unfortunately, just check some film grain figures on a film manufacturers
sites tech docs (if you can find one these days :-)

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998