That's true, Shel. But finding someone who can actually produce great scans is
a problem for most of us. I tried a $100 drum scan from the top pro lab in this
area, and it was mediocre at best. A lot of correction was required. I'm
currently working on a project with a very good photo retoucher. She has worked
at some of the best retouching houses in the area and is much in demand. Of
course scanning is part of the process at photo retouching services, and the
price is very dear. At least $200 per frame. Well, we're sitting at lunch the
other day, and she's telling me how color negs are more difficult to scan than
transparencies. Made me go, "hmmm." So far, the best scans I've had to work
with are those I did my self. Some  on an Agfa Duoscan that delivered 4800 dpi
scans, the others on my Epson 3200, which is capable of surprisingly good work,
particularly on medium format.
Paul