With current true drum scanners (the Imacon ain't one of them) costing between $35,000 and $80,000 the number of scans you can get at $45 each is between about 80 and 1800. At the 80 figure many folks would probably be better off buying, at the 1800 figure it would be a toss up.

One of the things is that a drum scanner is a lot slower to operate than a CCD scanner. It takes a certain amount of skill to wet mount the transparency. And the big file take awhile to load. If someone had a lot of 4x5 or larger trannies to scan a drum scanner, especially a used one, might make sense. But for the rest of us Dave has the right idea in my opinion.

The real advantage of a drum scanner is that the photomultiplier tubes will handle a lot higher dmax, and not the higher resolution, so to my mind, they truely are only needed for trannies. A CCD film scanner should be okay for most negative work.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"