Tom R. exploded:

> I am the one who argues that this 13% thing is bull.

Tom,
Actually it's not. The ANSI standard is around 12% and a lot of
manufacturers use 13%. Of course, as with film speed, the manufacturers do
what they want to do, so many of them do calibrate to 18%. I wouldn't be
surprised if some of them have enough tolerance built into their
calibrations that they VARY from 12% to 18%! <g>

Just because you get two meters to agree with each other doesn't mean all
other meters are like those two. Try comparing a Nikon and a Contax meter,
for instance.

As I said before, Ctein has tested this and reported his findings in his
book. His original source was Dick Dickerson, who is just a wee tad more
authoritative than Bob Shell--Dick oversaw the development of the T-Max
films, Polymax papers and chemicals, the Kodak chromogenic film, and Xtol,
among other things.

You want me to ask Dick about it? Or Ctein? I will if you want. The thing
is, I really think that since Ctein went to all the trouble to write it all
down in his book, the least we can do is give him the courtesy of going to
read about it there, instead of asking him to rewrite it again in an
individualized e-mail. But I'll ask him if you'd like me to.

His book is called _Post Exposure_, Focal Press (www.bh.com), ISBN
0-240-80299-3. The whole book is well worth having.

--Mike

P.S. Mark Roberts, No, I don't know the title of the relevant ANSI document,
but perhaps I can find out.