On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 23:55:44 -0800, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> Earlier today I noticed the indicator was at half.  Turned off the
> camera for a while as I wasn't snapping any pix, about 1/2 hour
> later turned the camera on again, indicator was at full.  After a
> few snaps it was at 1/2 again.

It means the charge in the batteries is waning.  If they're
rechargeable, I'd go ahead and recharge them.  If not, I'd keep using
them until (a) the camera acts wonky or (b) I have to shoot something I
can't miss.

> [...] wondering if a car could be caught with [trap focus].  It
> seems that it can.

It surely can.  I've used a number of lenses that way with my ZX-5 and
MZ-S.  I haven't tried it with the *ist D yet.  The thing to beware of
is that the point of focus often isn't what you want it to be due, I
think, to the "lock time" (the time between the camera realizing
something has come into focus and the actual tripping of the shutter).
Often, I find that the main plane of focus will be a little "behind"
where the car came into focus, measured in the direction of the car's
travel.  With the MZ-S and *ist D there are enough focal points in the
AF system that you should be able to select one that will get the
actual plane of focus about where you want it.

TTYL, DougF KG4LMZ