Not too many wood turning lathes that can turn work to 1/10,000 thousandth of an inch out there. This one could do that in 1885.

Remember these things are used for turning things like the pivots on a watch gear. This Whitcomb No. 1 is also the lathe most American and German Watchmaker Lathes are a copy of, the other style is the Swiss which have clamps that go around the bed. Compound cross-slides and tailstocks (this particular one came with a tailstock but it is a lot newer than the lathe) were available for these but a watchmaker could do more accurate work by hand.

Also the cross-slides now cost a lot more than the Boley (Which was one of the most expensive watchmakers lathes) I have coming. I have some ideas for making my own. A new Taig Micro Lathe would be cheaper but can not do such accurate work. I want the thing for working on cameras rather than watches, but many of the parts are similar.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"