On Nov 25, 2005, at 9:54 AM, William Robb wrote:

Ever do an unsharp mask in the darkroom? Me neither, but I've seen
prints done that way.

Actually, I have.
Sadly, Kodak deleted Pan Masking Film, and I don't know if there is something suitable out there as a replacement.

I still have this weird gadget I picked up years ago. It is a piece of glass about 2 X 2 inches. It is made of the same stuff as those eyeglasses that darken when you go out in the sun. You tape your original to it, and zap it a few times with an electronic flash, and it makes a mask. It actually works really well. Of course you have to figure out a way to make the sandwich fit in your negative carrier. I used to use it when printing Cibachrome from contrasty slides. I think it is called "Minute Mask" or something like that. It was much easier to use than Pan Masking Film.

Bob